This year celebrated the 10th anniversary of ‘Barngolfen’: Sweden’s biggest charity golf day in honour of the kids at Queen Silvia’s children’s hospital.
Money raised from the tournament, two auctions and a jubilee show, amounted to a record SEK 2.8 million. All funds raised go to the Queen Silvia Children’s Hospital and the renovation of twelve treatment rooms with jungle theme in the emergency department.
Barngolfen was played at Hills Golf & Sports Club in Mölndal by 34 teams of celebrities, golf professionals, professional athletes and sponsoring entrepreneurs. On site there were many golf professionals, including the 2015 European Solheim Cup team captain Carin Koch, Linda Wessberg, Thomas Bjorn, Johan Edfors and Joel Sjöholm. They played together with a variety of celebrities including HRH Princess Birgitta, TV host Steffo Thörnqvist and sports profiles Anette Norberg and Isabella Gulldén.
Ladies European Tour member Linda Wessberg commented:
“Carin and I have been ambassadors for this event for about seven years and we are highly involved in organising the day. I’m very proud to be a part of Sweden’s biggest charity golf, and it feels great to see how the money makes a big difference for the kids and their families. At the auction we had for example golf clubs from Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson’s pink driver and the drivers from the three legends Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and Gary Player.”
Tomas Gedda, Fundraising Manager at fundraising foundation for the Queen Silvia Children’s Hospital comments:
“Thanks to everyone who contributed to this fantastic result! Now, the 50 000 children with families visiting children’s emergency room every year to make a safer and more pleasant environment. Finally, the kids will be able to avoid thinking about wires and medications for a while.”
Malmö Aviation took first place, while the Queen Silvia Children’s Hospital finished second and Piwa Food was third.
Background Facts on Barngolfen – a golf tournament that makes a difference:
• Barngolfen has been played every year since 2006, in support of the Queen Silvia Children’s Hospital.
• Barngolfen is the largest charity golf tournament in Sweden.
• On Sunday, June 14th, a Jubilee Show was organised at Trädgår’n in Gothenburg that includes Staffan Hellstrand, Timo Räisänen, Lisa Ajax, Molly Pettersson Hammar, Marty Robbins, Patrik Isaksson and Tommy Nilsson.
• In conjunction with the Barngolfen tournament, two auctions were also held: a Facebook auction https://goo.gl/IKjiQk where donated items and experiences auctioned. The second auction took place during the competition’s banquet.
• The money, collected at Barngolfen 2015, ie 2.8 million SEK, will go to to complete the investment of a jungle room in the emergency department which annually receives over 50,000 children, parents and siblings. In 2014, the 2.2 million SEK raised was used to create a new and more pleasant radiology department.
• Barngolfen was played at Hills Golf & Sports Club in Mölndal. The format was a scramble and played in 34 5-player teams consisting of three company representatives, a golf pro and a celebrity.